How to root Samsung Galaxy on5 from MetroPCS & T-Mobile
Preparing the phone for root
To prepare the phone to be rooted you will need a few things:
- Download ODIN from the following link: Download ODIN
- Download TWRP ODIN flashable TAR file for the on5 here: Download TWRP (It will say it is for T-Mobile only, but works on MetorPCS as well)
- Download SuperSU Latest Stable here: Download SuperSU
- Download Samsung Drivers if needed: Download Drivers
Once the above is downloaded you must then do the following:
- On the phone goto Settings->About and tap "Build Number" 10 times to enable Developer Mode.
- Go to Settings->Developer Mode and select "Enable OEM Unlock"
- Then power off the device.
- With the device powered off hold "VOL-DOWN + HOME + PWR" until Download mode appears.
- Plug the phone into the computer and start ODIN with Administrator Rights.
- Open Odin and place that TWRP TAR file in the [AP] slot, under Options tab disable Auto Reboot, then press [Start]
- When ODIN says the flash is complete in the log window, pull the battery and put the battery back in.
- Before turning back on hold "VOL-UP + HOME + PWR" to enter recovery.
- Once in recovery go to Mount->Enable USB Mass Storage
- Copy the SuperSU zip to the phone's storage
- Disable USB Mass Storage
- Go to Backup->Start Backup to backup the phone IN CASE OF ISSUES!!
- Go to Install->Select SuperSU zip file and wait.
- Once done, reboot the phone and you should be good!
Custom ROMS for Samsung Galaxy on5 for MetroPCS
If you would like a pre-rooted, and pre-debloated ROM for MetroPCS variants(T-Mobile variants MIGHT be compatible) I have one available at:
Download pre-root & pre-debloated on5 ROM for MetroPCS variant on5
**The above ROM must be restored in TWRP as it is just a system parition backup. It includes a boot.img and the boot.img MUST BE RESTORED AS WELL FOR ROOT!!!!!
Flashing the custom ROM
ALWAYS BACKUP STOCK ROM FIRST USING THE BACKUP METHOD IN TWRP!!!
- Download the system image from the link above
- Extract the zip file to your external SD Card: (Example: Phone:\Ext_sd\TWRP\backups)
- Reboot into recovery (vol-up+home+pwr
- Make sure System Read only is not enabled in Mount settings.
- Select "Restore" -> Select the Folder you just put on your external SD Card
- Wait for a few minutes.
- After that is done, go back to the recovery home
- Then select "Wipe"
- Select "Data", "Cache", and "Dalvick Cache", and "Internal Storage" ONLY (
- IF UPDATING FROM A PREVIOUS VERSION YOU MUST CLEAR CACHE/DALVIK CACHE!!!!)
- Slide to wipe.
- Some users are reporting that you need to also restore DATA only from a stock ROM backup.
- Then reboot.
- Follow android setup as normal